Deaf Blogs > Nightswimmer's blogs > Deafness and the Law.

Deafness and the Law.

Members Only
Can anyone tell me if it is true that if you get stopped by a cop that you can ask for a certified interprener and the cop has to get one? Also if you dont know sign lanquage do they have to get you an certified lip reader to talk to you? Thank you for any help with this.
Sort by:
newest post
  • oldest post
  • newest post
Members Only
Police who make a traffic stop for a driving infraction shall ask for a driver license, proof of insurance and your vehicle registration. Stay seated in your vehicle with your hands in plain sight. There is no reason to speak to the officer, unless you have unpaid tickets or if the officer has a good reason for believing he/she observes reasons for further investigation, such as the odor of marijuana, or if something is viewed by the officer like a firearm or other weapon, or drug paraphernalia. . It is always best Not to speak to police under such circumstances because anything said or written down may be used against you. If police arrest you, demand an interpreter and do not say anything without a lawyer present.
Additionally, having a good attitude goes a long way with police. If you are argumentative and difficult, the officer may make your day miserable. Remember, cops are just doing their job. It's not personal! They are people like you and me who respond to kindness and appreciation and want to go home at the end of their shift. Most cops are required to write so many traffic tickets per month, unless they are assigned to a traffic division, then all bets are off. Just follow the golden rule, treat others as you wish to be treated. Don't smoke pot in the car and keep weapons off the seat. I write from experience.
Members Only
View author's info
1 year ago
It's different here in Canada. We are not anywhere near the same as ADA however in our city, we are working hard with the 911 system to dispatch an interpreter to hospitals, prisons or other institutions when you are brought to those places.
Like all the others here, yes, use paper and pen! Unless you are planning to end up in prison and that will allow you to get an interpreter - which I'm pretty sure you do not want to do. :)
Members Only

It is an ADA Law,they have to provide you an intrpreter for free,there is no charge to the Deaf or Hard of Hearing individual.They can not say no.If they do ,then you could take them to court with no questions ask.

Members Only
It's a Federal Law to have a deaf interputer before u get arrested for any crime, and that's no excuse for a cop don't have much time to get one provided to u. IT'S THE FEDERAL LAW!
Members Only
Ok, cool. I will try to ask for interpreter next time, to see if they really let me go. If not, if the cops are smarter enough to write down.
Members Only
Thank you for responding Beauty Nature. But that is kind of a good thing. If they have to wait for someone they might just let you go. I have always done what you do, have them write things down for me.
Members Only
If you get pulled over by a cop from traffic, no. They don't have time to wait for interpreter, however, you and the cops can communicate by writing each other. That's how they do that with me.

If you disturb people or disturbed from people, no time to get interpreter either, write piece of papers. Simple.

No time to have interpreter or lip reader. Cops don't have the time and so does others. Write piece of papers, simple.